August being the National Census Month, PSA (Philippine Statistics Authority) has recently launched the Census of Population 2015 or POPCEN 2015. It is now ongoing and is expected to run from August 10 to September 6, 2015 in provinces and most likely be extended until end of September for major cities.
Pursuant to Republic Act No. 10625 (Philippine Statistical Act of 2013) , the Census of Population 2015 or POPCEN 2015 is a nationwide activity that aims to get updated population counts of household members. According to psa.gov.ph the gathered data will be used for “ the determination of the Internal Revenue Allotment (IRA); creation of new local government units (LGUs); and, for the conversion of some existing LGUs to higher level such as municipalities to component cities and component cities to highly urbanized cities. Census results are also useful for determining sites for establishing businesses. These data are utilized to determine consumer demands and supply of labor for the production of various goods and services.”
The public should now expect PSA (Philippine Statistics Authority) representatives to knock on their doors and be asked some questions about their household.
Here are some facts to remember about this Census of Population 2015 or POPCEN 2015:
- The listing and enumeration for the POPCEN 2015 will last for about 25 working days (including Saturdays and holidays), from August 1 to 31, 2015.
- Enumerators (EN) wearing official POPCEN 2015 IDs will visit and interview every household to ask basic information such as age, sex, marital status, education, and usual occupation.
- The interview will take from 15 to 30 minutes for each household.
- What will be asked during the house-to-house interview and what forms will the interviewer use?
Household Questionnaire (CP Form 2)
Respondent: Head of the household or his/her spouse, or any responsible member of the household who can provide accurate answers to the questions or who can give correct information for the household and all its members.
Information to be asked: Demographic and socio-economic characteristics, Registration of deaths among household members, Selected housing characteristics
Important Reminder: Each respondent must provide truthful or correct information for the Census of Population 2015. According to Section 27 of RA 10625 –
“Respondents of primary data collection activities such as censuses and sample surveys are obliged to give truthful and complete answers to statistical inquiries. The gathering, consolidation, and analysis of such data shall likewise be done in the most truthful and credible manner.
Any individual who refuses or fails to give truthful and complete answers to statistical inquiries shall be imposed a penalty of one (1) year imprisonment and a fine of one hundred thousand pesos (P100,000.00)”.
- Information gathered during the interview will be kept with STRICT CONFIDENCE.
Section 26 of R.A. No. 10625 stipulates that ” individual data furnished by a respondent to statistical inquiries, surveys, and censuses of the PSA shall be considered privileged information and as such shall be inadmissible as evidence in any proceeding. The PSA releases data gathered from censuses only in the form of summaries or statistical tables, in which no reference to an individual, corporation, association, partnership, institution or business enterprise shall appear.Likewise, Section 27 of RA No. 10625 states that a person, including parties within the PSA Board and the PSA, who breach the confidentiality of information, whether by carelessness, improper behavior, behavior with malicious intent, and use of confidential information for profit shall be liable to a fine of five thousand pesos (P5,000.00) to not more than ten thousand pesos (P10,000.00) and/or imprisonment of three months but not to exceed one year, subject to the degree of breach of information”
- August 1, 2015 will be the census reference date for the POPCEN 2015, on which date the enumeration of the population in the Philippines shall refer. This means that all persons to be enumerated as members of a household or as residents of an institutional living quarter will be as of August 1, 2015.
Related topics for this article: "neverj6u", "oilf79"