It’s finally confirmed, Miss Universe 2017 will be held in the Philippines.
After two decades, it was announced at a press conference by Tourism Secretary Wanda Teo that the most prestigious pageant will be held in our country.
“I would like to inform everybody that the Miss Universe pageant will be on January 30, 2017 in the Philippines,” said Teo. “The government is not going to spend any single centavo. It will be the private sector who would shoulder the expenses.”
Accordingly, President Duterte agreed that Philippines will hold the Miss Universe 2017 but government funds will not be spent for the pageant.
The reports allegedly resulted for some to think that the pageant in the country will not push through. But to clarify the issue, it was mentioned in the press conference that the funding would come from the private sector.
“Private sector will handle the expenses. The President’s concern was the gastos(expenses). But when we assured him that there will be no funding from the government, he said, okay. ‘This is already okay.’
“So we don’t know where the news report came from that he did not like it. He never said that,” Tourism Undersecretary Kat de Castro said on the sidelines of the press briefing.
In addition, De Castro said that her department had reach out to Shawn McClain, the vice president of business development and marketing at the Miss Universe Organization, to iron out issues.
“They got in touch with me this morning. Shawn McClain, who is the VP at Miss U, was shocked when that article came out because everyone was already on board. The article says the president doesn’t want it to happen,” De Castro said.
Further, Teo said that she called Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea to ask if her department could announce the news following some confusion surrounding Duterte’s earlier statement, saying “I wouldn’t want to spend on it.”
“I told [Medialdea], ‘Is it okay if we announce that the Miss Universe will be held in the Philippines?’ and he said ‘Yes,'” Teo said.
It was further reported that the announcement of Miss Universe 2017 has initially waited for an administrative order.
“We were planning to set up a press con for the announcement earlier, but I said let us just wait for the administrative order. But because of the news release, I said we should come out and announce,” Teo told reporters.
“The administrative order will be signed before the end of the month,” she added.
Who are the possible sponsors of Miss Universe 2017?
Base on reports, Teo said she assured the President that the government won’t spend any expenses that is amounting to $11 million.
She also confirmed that Japanese billionaire and Tiger Resort chief Kazuo Okada, as well as the country’s richest man, Henry Sy, are among the sponsors.
It was previously reported that President Duterte met with officials of Tiger Resort Leisure and Entertainment Incorporated led by Okada, executive assistant to the chairman Sumire Kamura, and chief operating officer Takahiro Usui at the Music Room in Malacañang Palace on July 18. Details of their conversation, however, were not disclosed.
It was well known that the prestigious pageant was first held in Manila in 1974, when Miss Universe 1973 Margarita Moran crowned Amparo Muñoz of Spain. In 1994, the pageant came back to the country where India’s Sushmita Sen was crowned by Miss Universe 1993 Dayanara Torres.
And next year, the reigning Miss Universe, the Philippines’ own Pia Wurtzbach, will crown the Miss Universe 2017.