“Eddie Garcia Law” or Actors Occupational Safety and Health Standard Bill will be proposed by Rep. Michael Romero of 1-PACMAN party list. He is the late veteran actor’s stepson with Eddie’s long-time partner Lilibeth Romero.
According to Rep.Romero this will be the first bill he would author and file in the upcoming 18th Congress. He expects around 100 of his colleagues to co-sign with him to support this law.
In his Facebook page, he called for the support of his fellow legislators.
He mentioned that the bill would cover the following-
1. Mandatory Actors and Production Insurance coverage
2. Specific Working Hours for (8-12 hours maximum):
a) Below 18 years old, b) 18-59 years old and c) 60 years old and above (Senior Citizen).
3. Medical Safety Procedures on production set and within its area of responsibility
4. Mandatory Installation of Safety Officers within its area of responsibility
5. Emergency Standards and Procedures
6. Penalties and Liabilities for Violation
As we all know, Eddie Garcia passed away due to an accident that happened while he was shooting for a teleserye. (Read: Eddie Garcia dead at 90 y.o )
Reports say that allegedly there were no medical personnel on the set when it happened.
In another FB post, Rep. Romero said that the Eddie Garcia law will be the legacy of one of Philippine cinema’s legend.
And was what was truly touching was the last line that said –“This one is for you Tito Ed 😢😢😢. The best gift i can give you.”