EDSA Express Bus will soon run in one of the major highways of Metro Manila.
The EDSA Express Bus, akin to the old Love Bus, is a collaborative project of 3 major government agencies namely DOTC (Department of Transportation and Communications), LTFRB (Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board ), and MMDA (Metropolitan Manila Development Authority).
Commuters who travel from Fairview to Ayala will be the first ones to ride the EDSA Express Bus as it was established in a survey that 60% of the workers in Makati are from Quezon City. DOTC Sec. Jun Abaya announced that on March 16, a pilot test will be conducted by releasing 50 buses to the targeted commuting public.
How will EDSA Express Bus be the Express Solution?
Here are the special features of the EDSA Express Bus :
- Maximum of 4 bus stops only.
- From the dispatching terminal there will be a bus stop, which is located in Tandang Sora to pick up passengers. The bus leaves even with empty seats.
- MMDA has allowed EDSA Express Bus to use mixed lane (instead of yellow lane only) including the underpass and to be exempted from the number coding scheme.
- Bus service will be available from 5:00 am to 9:00 pm
- Only new buses and those that have clean records will be used
- Air-conditioned with comfortable seats
- Security cameras installed
- Wi-fi connection and GPS (global positioning system) on board
- Most importantly, no fare increase! Bus fare will be in accordance to LTFRB guidelines on per kilometer charging.
The EDSA Express Bus may have potentials on being a remedy on the agonizing travel time of more than 1 hr from Fairview to Ayala. But MMDA Francis Tolentino stressed that the 50 buses will actually just add to the crowded bus population of EDSA, not unless there will be a move to decrease the existing buses. So the word “Express ” doesn’t mean traffic congestion will be off the hook, may be just in a lesser degree.
Passenger convenience is what the EDSA Express Bus can perhaps guarantee. Especially now that most of the DPWH road projects are about to start, the high-tech amenities of EDSA Express bus will be surely handy to the passengers. Moreover, Robert Siy, a senior adviser to the DOTC Undersecretary for Planning, explained that the scheme aims to steer car users away from their vehicles and use public transport to reduce car volume in EDSA. Currently at 2.9 million, car users have the highest no. of commuters .
If EDSA Express Bus becomes successful, other routes will be opened.