Before you say “I do” to your special someone, there are important things to keep you busy. And wedding day is not all that beers, foods etc. You also need the legal documents to complete prior to your most awaited day. And one of the most important is the Marriage License; otherwise, you won’t be allowed to have a church or civil wedding without this license.
Whether you’re tying the knot with a Filipino, American, or any other foreigner, this guide on how to get marriage license in the Philippines is for you!
To apply for the marriage license in the Philippines, both parties must go personally to the the local civil registrar of the city, town or municipality where either the groom or the bride habitually resides. Release of marriage license is approximately 2 weeks (10 days) after the application.
Once marriage license is issued, it can be used wherever you want to get married in the Philippines. Just an important reminder! Validity is only within 120 days of issuance and according to the law, “shall be deemed automatically cancelled at the expiration of said period if the contracting parties have not made use of it.”
What You Need to apply for marriage license in the Philippines :
- Certified true copy of you and your partner’s NSO birth certificates (1 original and 2 photocopies). You can request from the NSO office or apply online through e-Census. NSO Helpline Plus is also available with telephone no. (632) 737.1111 or email them at [email protected]
- Affidavit of parental consent or advice. 18 years is the legal age of Marriage in the Philippines. If one of you are between the ages 18 and 21, a consent from parents, surviving parent or guardian is required. On the other hand, if either of you are between the age of 22 and 25, a written parental advice indicating that your parents are aware of your intention to marry will be required. You can either bring your parents during application or just submit a notarized letter of consent/advice.
- Certificate of No Marriage (CENOMAR) or Certificate of Singleness (1 original and 1 photocopy). This document will prove that you haven’t been married before. It is issued by the NSO, with a fee of Php 195. Release is after 4 working days.
- Certificate of Attendance in a pre-marriage counseling, family planning, and responsible parenthood seminar.T he pre-marriage counseling is usually conducted by the Church or the DSWD for civil marriages. The family planning and responsible parenthood seminar, on the other hand, is held at the health department (specifically the Division of Maternal and Child Health) of your municipal/city hall. Make sure to check the schedules as some are conducted daily while others have a specific schedule within the week. If you failed to secure the certificates before applying for a marriage license, you will be asked to attend the required seminars before your wedding date.
- Community Tax Certificate or Cedula (1 original and 2 photocopies).
- Barangay Clearance (1 original and 1 photocopy).
- At least 2 valid IDs.
- Recent 1 x 1 photo (colored or black and white).
- Marriage license application form (issues by the LCR office).
Other requirements for application for marriage license in the Philippines (in addition to above):
- If annulled, Certificate of Finality of Annulment from the Court (1 original and 2 photocopies) and Certificate of Registration from the Local Civil Registrar (1 original and 2 photocopies).
- If widowed, Death Certificate of deceased spouse
For foreigners applying for marriage license in the Philippines :
- Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage.This document, issued by the consular office/embassy of the foreigner’s country, serves as a proof of his/her civil status and eligibility for marriage in the Philippines.
- A photocopy of passport.
Related topics for this article: "requirements for marriage license", "marriage license requirements", "marriage license philippines", "how to get marriage license", "marriage license requirements Philippines", "marriage license", "marriage license requirements 2016", "requirements for marriage license philippines", "marriage license philippines requirements", "how to get marriage license philippines"