Pacquiao-Mayweather rematch still ‘possible’

After her victorious fight with Vargas, WBO welterweight champ Manny Pacquiao kept alive hopes for a Pacquiao-Mayweather rematch.

On Friday, it was allegedly reported that Manny Pacquiao said the possibility of an epic clash can be only if his arch rival returns to the ring.

It was known that last year, Pacquiao was defeated by Mayweather in the richest fight in boxing history. But he made a winning comeback from his brief retirement in November when he defeated Jessie Vargas via unanimous decision.

“If he will come back in boxing, there is a possible that there is a rematch, but right now we don’t talk or discuss about it,” Pacquiao told reporters in Tokyo, where he will open his first overseas boxing gym next year.

In case of a Pacquiao-Mayweather rematch, Manny certainly answered, “Yes of course” when asked if he is confident about winning the possible rematch.

Allegedly, Pacquiao originally retired in May after beating American Timothy Bradley in a non-title fight before standing for and winning a seat in the Philippines Senate.

“I feel lonely and sad because I (was) no longer active in the sport that I love,” Pacquiao said. “I can still fight and my body is still okay, so I decided to come back and I’m here.”

Reported further that Pacquiao fuelled talk of “Pacquiao-Mayweather 2” when he invited the undefeated American, who retired in September 2015, to attend his successful comeback against Jesse Vargas in Las Vegas on November 5.

Also, earlier this month, Pacquiao teased fans about a possible Pacquiao-Mayweather rematch by posting pictures on social media wearing a suit bearing photos of him and Mayweather in the lining.

However, days later,  on his part, Mayweather said that he had no plans to come out of retirement.

Meanwhile, organisers of Friday’s event told reporters there would be no “political” questions asked of the boxer-cum-senator. Despite admitting to past use of illegal substances, Pacquiao has endorsed Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte’s high-profile war on drugs which has left more than 4,000 people dead since the president took office in June and has been condemned by the United Nations.

 

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google Plus

Comments

comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *